Friday, April 10, 2009

A Trip to the Grocery Store

I used to think that it was really crowded at Walmart in Knoxville on a Saturday....that is until I went to the grocery store here last Saturday! It was near the beginning of the month when everyone gets paid, so I guess they were all stocking up. I couldn't believe how many people there were. It was nearly impossible to maneuver around the store, especially with three little boys in tow. It was a little like driving in Sao Paulo. If you didn't push your way through you wouldn't move, except maybe if you were pushed by someone else. We managed to get a few things we needed, and then we had to wait in line for about 30 minutes to get checked out! I will definitely try to avoid that situation in the future. Jeremy discreetly took a few pictures. We are trying not to look too much like American tourists!

At least all the checkouts were open - You have to give them that!

































It has been difficult for me to figure out how to cook and what to buy here. I am going to have to change my ways of cooking somewhat. Yesterday a fellow missionary wife took me to the grocery store and explained what things were and that was very helpful. It takes me a while to pick things out because I have to figure out what the Portuguese says it is, then I have to convert grams/kilograms to ounces/pounds to get an idea of how much is in it, and then I have to covert from reais (the Brazilian currency) to dollars to see how much I am paying for it! I am also learning to cook on a gas stove, because I have always had an electric stove. My poor family!

Each day brings new challenges. We are working on adjusting to our new life here. Your prayers are much appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Looks like our Great Canadian Superstore! I can't imagine going to the grocery, and trying to figure it all out. It was a challenge for me, as I tried to convert kg's and grams--without a different language. Praying for you! Gas stoves are better:) If the power goes out.... you can still cook:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm glad you're finally there. I know you're happy. We're praying as you adjust!!

    ReplyDelete