Thursday, June 17, 2010

The World Cup

On Tuesday morning everyone was dressed in their green, yellow, and blue. Brazil flags were flying from windows and on cars. All morning there was noise of cars honking and noisemakers sounding. As the afternoon approached fireworks started and traffic snarled as businesses everywhere closed early and everyone went home. What was the cause of all this commotion? A big holiday? No! Brazil played their first game of the FIFA World Cup!!!
If you live in the US, you might not even realize that the World Cup is going on, or even what it is. I didn't until
I married a Brazilian! Every four years the World Cup Soccer Championship takes place. Thrity-two countries win a place competing, and in countries like Brazil, it is a very big deal! Even bigger than the Olympics! Brazil is the only country that has been in every World Cup, and they have won five times, which is more than any other country. Right now you can buy just about anything in green, yellow, and blue. I even saw packages of fingernail polish with green, yellow, and blue.
  So in keeping up with Brazilian tradition, we had a party with some friends and family, and lots of snacks, and watched the game. It was alot of fun, and BRAZIL WON!!!!!
There were many more fireworks when each goal was made, and when the game was over and Brazil had won the victory. We were remarking that this is about the only time that you see Brazilians being patriotic. But it is kind of fun and exciting when you are here, so we are enjoying the experience.
  It has also been a reminder for us that Brazil is a very passionate and emotional country, and a country that needs the Lord. If only they would be that excited about serving the Lord. We have a great task before us.

Go Brazil!!!!

4 comments:

  1. That's neat!
    ... Sounds like Canadians and hockey;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traitor! Maybe if you'd rooted for the good ole US of A, we might not have lost! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was rooting for the USA, too. But no matter how loud I yelled at them, they didn't listen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! OK, I'll cut ya some slack since you did root for them! :)

    ReplyDelete