Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Wild West

This area where we are living is very agricultural, and has been referred to as "the wild west" of Brazil. This weekend it really felt like it.

This week, our city is having an "Agri-show." From what I can gather, this is much like what we would call a county fair in the US.  There is a beauty contest, animal judging, a rodeo, concerts, and other events. To kick all that off, on Saturday they held a "Cavalgada."

Now we don't really understand the point of it, but what it amounts to is LOTS of people parading through town on horses or donkeys...or cows in some cases. We didn't go watch because it isn't always a very good family environment. However, I walked to the store in the morning and saw several horses and donkeys tied up in front of stores, and cowboys riding all over town. Later we heard some noise and looked outside and saw that the "parade" was passing the corner about a half of a block from our house, so we stepped outside to let the boys see the horses from afar. We stood out there for at least a half an hour they just kept coming! I read later that there were about 3000 people who rode that day!

I *borrowed* a few pictures from the city website to give you a glimpse!




 
  (You thought I was kidding about the cows didn't you?!)


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Looks very interesting! :) I love hearing about your life. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete