We've lived here in Ouro Preto for eight months now, and I've seen tortilla chips at the store twice. When they do have them, they cost about $3 for a 6 oz. bag, so even if they had them, we wouldn't be buying them all the time.
I looked online to see how to make tortilla chips from scratch. All the recipes that I found started with "a package of corn tortillas." Problem! We don't have those either! So I got a recipe for corn tortillas from a friend, and set out to really "start from scratch."
It turned out to be a great recipe that was fairly easy to make.
It's always nice to have a handsome and handy assistant in the kitchen!
After they cook, you brush them lightly with oil.
Cut them into triangles (or whatever shape they end up being), salt them, and bake for a few minutes.
And enjoy the final product!
Wow, that's great! Sometimes I make them - but I use corn tortillas! :) It's always nice hearing about your life. Praying for you.
ReplyDeleteOh my, I totally know where you're coming from on this. I tried it once, too. (notice I tried it 1 time) It was time consuming, but the boys liked it with their fresh guacamole. I fried some and baked some. The baked tasted better, but they didn't stay crispy very long. I had a helper rolling out the tortillas, too, but it was too long of a process for me. Guess we'll wait until we're in the States to eat tortilla chips again. :-)
ReplyDelete